Media Committee of Santa Barbara
To acknowledge and assist the media in becoming a positive educator of the public
La Belle Foundation, in conjunction with participants from four other local organizations, developed the Media Committee of Santa Barbara (MCSB) in 1993. Its purpose was to assist the media in becoming a positive educator of the public. La Belle facilitated the monthly meetings. Most of the suggestions, ideas and requests made by this committee were responded to by our local media and many were granted throughout the country.
Since 1993, we acknowledged the media in person as well as by letter, fax, award and phone. Since 2001 the following were booked as our honored guests at our monthly meetings:
Can Democracy Survive the Mass Media? was the fourth in a series of forums called Redefining the News.
- Media and Democracy: Who’s Responsible?
- Meet the Media
- New Media: Internet and Beyond
- Can Democracy Survive the Mass Media?
The fourth forum was presented on Thursday, April 6, 2000 at the Faulkner Gallery of the Santa Barbara Public Library with Sander Vanocur.
The Media Committee of Santa Barbara held monthly meetings to discuss positive means of working with the media, plan forums and other events, and select nominees for MCSB awards.
- FAIR Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting
- American Reporter – raw journalism
- Harness Positivity and Change Your Life Forever
- Good News Net – positive news stories
- Arkweb – “good news only”
- EFF – The Electronic Frontier Foundation
- American Review – SB based alternative media
- SB Independent newspaper
- KEYT television
- Coastline SB News Press
- KCBX radio (PBS SLO)
- ECP SB Economic Community Project
- New Dimensions – Interviews with the foremost thinkers, artists, scientists, social innovators and visionaries of our time.
Some of our Sponsors